Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Low Tech Solutions in a High Tech World

I had been a little remiss (about 9 months worth, oops) on scheduling my annual gyn check up. (No, this will not be a TMI post.) Leave it to me to find a gyno who specializes in, oh, shall we say, less than modern approaches to family planning.

I arrive at 7:40 for my 7:45 appointment and have a minute to read the doctor's brochure. Doesn't believe in any medical birth control intervention; encourages Natural Family Planning i.e. the rhythm method and advocates abstinence before marriage. Whew doggie, I'm gonna have some 'splaining to do with my IUD equipped, newly wed self. I almost just left, but that whole 9 months late for my annual exam thing held me still.

All in all it was as painless as any such appointment can be, but I don't think I've found my solution for long term treatment of my gyn health needs. There was an uncomfortable few moments in the office under the watchful gaze of the Virgin Mary figurine where I felt I had to defend my and my husband's decision not to have children. A little heavy first thing in the morning for my lapsed Catholic self.

The good news? It was in the network!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home