Wednesday, November 29, 2006

3 Weeks to Make a Habit

Rumor is that it takes 3 weeks to establish a habit. Not sure what the magic of 3 weeks is, but that's the rumor. If it's true I'm 2.5 weeks away from making exercise a habit. Today was day 2 and I can't say I bounded out of bed with enthusiasm, but I did get up and get my act together enough to get in an exercise event before flying out of town. Yay me.

I did my 2 song walk warm up and then jogged along for 3 songs (a little over 10 minutes) straight and then walked until I had reached my goal of 30 minutes. I discovered that my mp3 player has a stopwatch feature which was cool and handy since most training schedules don't use songs as the measure of how long to work out.

I'm a bit inspired. I was talking to someone I know tonight over dinner who took up running in recent years and has become a bit fanatical. His wife decided to join him in running in the last couple of years. She ran her first marathon (NYC) last month and -- get this -- qualified for Boston. How cool is that? I remember walking a 5K with her in San Fran a little over 2 years ago and at that time she had not yet started running. So she picked it up post-40 and is rocking. I don't have my sights set on qualifying for jack diddly, but I do feel inspired to tackle the next 17 weeks and beyond!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home