Monday, March 19, 2007

Through New Eyes

My friends got back from China with their new little girl, Ella, on Friday night. After 20 hours in transit with at least 9 hours of screaming 1.5 year old, the whole family was wrecked and pretty sure they never wanted to get on an airplane ever again. Miss Ella is a complete charmer and I can't stop thinking of what it must be like to be her and to have your world changed so completely.

The drive home strapped into a car seat for the first time showcased her lung power, but she soon keeled over to sleep... taking after her Aunt Debbie who can't sit in a moving vehicle for long without snoozing. Soon she saw her new home for the first time... and her new pet kitty. Do you remember the first time you ever saw a cat? Me, either. I grew up with pets, have never not had a pet, can't imagine life without a pet.

Not so, Ella. It was really funny to witness her first introduction to Tux. Tux, who has never met a stranger, beelined it to the new little person for a look see. Ella's eyes got big, followed by a blood curdling, Freddy Krueger is in the house, scream. Tux nearly turned himself inside out to get away from sceaming baby. Meg and I nearly collapsed from the giggles -- compassionate souls that we are.

Word is that within 24 hours Ella had made peace with Tux and Jake the dog; this week of firsts is so exciting that I'm glad I got to see a couple of them. What a fun, sweet journey.

2 Comments:

At 12:54 PM , Blogger Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

I'm so happy for them! What an exciting time... I'm green with envy, actually. I guess adoption really is like childbirth (in that you don't remember the pain...only the good stuff) because I would hop on a plane right now to bring another child home. (and would immediately if I had the resources)

Congratulations to them as that lucky girl explores her new surroundings and learns that biology isn't the only one to build a loving family!

Send pics!!!

 
At 10:06 AM , Blogger Lexy said...

I'm green with envy, too! According to China though, we aren't eligible. :-(

I'll send pics if you'll send pics! :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home