Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I AM a Southerner

My poor little abandoned blog is such a lonely little corner! Life's at full speed and something had to give, but I was inspired to check in here when I discovered a heretofore unknown passion for pimento cheese.

Grocery store pimento cheese gives me the willys... it's so, so ORANGE. I have Michigan transplant parents so pimento cheese didn't make an appearance on my childhood menus. Thanks to the aforementioned parents, I've always been not quite a sure enough Southerner. That was until I met HOMEMADE pimento cheese. Oh dear golly that stuff rocks!

A tub of this nectar was featured as lunch rations on a dive trip to the Keys last week and I nearly embarassed myself with how much I liked it. So much so, that I came home and googled away to discover a recipe so that I might have pimento cheese for my own self. This may take a while to perfect, but the first batch is in the fridge, so I'm on my way to unlocking the secrets.

mmmm, cheesy goodness!

6 Comments:

At 2:11 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I'll get Mom's recipe for ya :)

 
At 1:19 PM , Blogger Lexy said...

I'm gonna need it. The first attempt was fairly meh.

 
At 9:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say it was "meh", but it needed a little more pimento and a little less garlic. As my experience with pimento cheese has been on a burger from the Varsity, I can't say I'm well versed... maybe it is a Southern thing.

-love me

 
At 10:15 AM , Blogger Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:17 AM , Blogger Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

One of my favorite appetizers to make for tailgating is a Cheese Ring that would make a great "minter cheese" (as an old Southern man might call it).

Sounds like an odd combination, but it is HEAVENLY:

CHEESE RING WITH STRAWBERRY PRESERVES

1 pound grated cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup finely chopped nuts (I use pecans)
1 small onion, grated or chopped fine
white pepper to taste
dash of cayenne or Tabasco
strawberry preserves (to serve)

Mix all ingredients except preserves together and pour into ring mold (Sometimes I'll just form it by hand.) Refrigerate until set.

To serve turn out onto a platter and fill center of mold with strawberry preserves. Surround with crackers. (Wheat Thins work well)

It is YUMMY!

 
At 10:17 AM , Blogger Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

And, welcome back darnit! Don't leave us that long again. K???

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home